Wednesday, July 18, 2012

EXCLUSIVE! Larry Hankin's Interview in Breaking Bad Greek Blog!

Larry Hankin, who plays Old Joe on Breaking Bad, if he was expected to return on the show, about his reniun with Jonathan Banks after almost 30 years and much more! Hit the jump below to read more!


Q : How did you get involved in the show? 
A : During the run of Breaking Bad's 3rd season my agent called and said I had an audition. I hate auditions. It's a job interview. It's not my particular Bliss. It's not my sweet spot. and then he got to: "...it's for Breaking Bad". Maybe he asked them or they asked him, I don't know, but I was such a big fan of the show by then, I got the script and auditioned without a doubt. After 3 days: nada, I figured they blew me of so I blew them off and I went on with my life. About 3 or 4 weeks later my agent called and said I got the part. So I appeared in an episode as the junkyard guy in the middle of the third season. So that was cool. Then, 2 years later (Last January), I get a call from my agent saying that Breaking Bad called and wanted to use me as that junkyard guy in an episode somewhere around June and would I hold a week at the end of June open for them and they'll get back to me. I can't plan what I'll be doing 20 minutes from now so I forgot about it. Totally. And about 2-3 months later, in April, they called and said they wanted me to be in another episode, am I free at the end of April and I said of course, I've got it circled on my calendar. But I never knew that it was the first episode of the final year until weeks after I shot it and flew back to L.A. I thought that was extremely very cool. Because when it comes to Breaking Bad, to me, I'm like a guy who plays air guitar getting to sit in with Keith Richards and The Rolling Stones. With the same effect. So that was pretty cool: being in the opening episode of the final season of Breaking Bad. Not Bad. So that's how it happened.

Q : You appeared in Armed and Dangerous with Jonathan Banks. What was it like to work together again after nearly 30 years?
A : I've always admired his work so I was blown away the first time we worked together. Mainly I like to check out how Jonathan works within a scene.  He's a very cool actor. I didn't get to talk to him much on the set back in the day - there was too much going on, but Jonathan is a great guy. Down to earth, really smart. I kind of ramble & rattle on and he puts up with me. I look at him like an acting guru. He so great and relaxed and "there". So it was great.

Q : Did you expect to be back on season 5 ?
A : In the world of acting, I think it's not a great thing to expect to be back in anything, ever. And I'm working on my own writing and film shorts so I've got a whole other comedy feature movie character of my own called: "The Outlaw Emmett Deemus" that I want to bust out in the next couple of months. I've got 3 shorts about him on Youtube. He's a funny old crazy outlaw biker dude. Don Quixote on a motorcycle. So I'm pretty much always in the middle of something or off being curious.

Q : Will you come back for another episode or episodes on season 5 ?
A : Hmmm.  Will I finish this sentence?  It depends on the weather, the who, the story, the timing, the where, the idea and other unintended consequences, but I'd sure like to.

Q : How was your cooperation with other actors οf the show ?
A : Pretty good, I guess, From where I was coming from it was great. You'd have to ask them. Those guys, crew, Bryan, Paul, the director, writers, they've been doing that and those characters hot and heavy for five years almost, so they're solid pros and they roll with pretty much whatever you can throw. I was just playing catch-up, really. Both episodes. It's great to watch and have the opportunity to sit in with pros who are playing 5 - 6 days a week. Amazing. Remember, I'm a fan of the show, so, to work with people with those kind of chops in something you're a big fan of, is very scary and very great. What was also pretty great was being right there to see that laptop fly thru the air and slam into the truck. That was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment